Week 8 Overview
Week 8: Fulfilling the Promise of the Open Door the Way Students Need It Fulfilled; Understanding the Intersection of Diverse Characteristics
- Enhance and demonstrate the ability to create an inclusive environment where multiple perspectives are considered for the cooperative purpose of making progress towards common goals.
- Enhance and demonstrate the ability to critically evaluate a given community college context in light of student body characteristics and apply appropriate student success strategies.
- Review course assignments and expectations
- Read/review and incorporate assigned materials
- Analyze, select, and apply appropriate strategies at a given community college to increase student access, equity and success based on the existing student demographics and performance gaps
- Explore how multiple characteristics of diversity overlap and influence student performance metrics
- Participate in Zoom Session on Thursday, October 13th.
Required Reading and Viewing
Cuyjet, M.J., Howard-Hamilton, M.F. & Cooper, D.L. (2011). Multiculturalism on campus: Theory, models, and practices for understanding diversity and creating inclusion. Sterling, VA: Stylus. Chapter 17.
Implementing Student Success Strategies
Achieving the Dream. (n.d.). Cutting edge series: Scaling community college interventions. Retrieved from https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED521867.pdf (Links to an external site.)
Community College Research Center. (n.d.). Twelve recommendations for community colleges. Retrieved from https://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/media/k2/attachments/defending-equity-agenda-recommendations.pdf (Links to an external site.)
Complete College America Alliance. (2017). Alliance compact scaling standards. Retrieved from https://completecollege.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Alliance-Compact-and-Scaling-Standards-FINAL-WEB-3.15.18.pdf (Links to an external site.)
Hynds, A. (2010). Unpacking resistance to change within-school reform programmes with a social justice orientation. International Journal of Leadership in Education, 13(4), p. 377-392.
Klempin, S., and Mechur Karp, M. (2015). Leadership for transformative change: Lessons from technology mediated reform in broad-access colleges. Community College Research Center Working Paper No. 83. Retrieved from https://ccrc.tc.columbia.edu/media/k2/attachments/leadership-for-transformative-change.pdf (Links to an external site.)
Other Diverse Characteristics
DeBaun, B. (2019). Rural student success facts and figures. Retrieved from https://collegeaccess.org/news/456346/Rural-Student-Success-Resources-Facts-and-Figures.htm (Links to an external site.)
Today’s Student Coalition. (2019). Retrieved from https://todaysstudentscoalition.org/